AND SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN?
Wondering which daily moisturiser you can safely apply to the sensitive skin on your face? Not even sure which “skincare routine” is going to keep your sensitive skin its comfort zone? You’ve come to the right place! Read on for the low-down on taking care of your sensitive skin, lips and eyes, as well as tips to avoid all those annoying pulling or stinging sensations.
LET’S START WITH 3 SENSITIVE SKIN
To keep sensitive skin in its comfort zone
Sensitive skincare rule 1. No nasties please! Stay away from irritants
For those with sensitive skin, be sure to look for the right products. Some may contain undesired and irritating additives tot adapted for sensitive skin, triggering prickling, stinging and redness. Because it’s particularly vulnerable to external aggressors, “less is more” when it comes to sensitive skin. So, when reading product labels, make sure they include certain claims like “tested on sensitive and allergic skin”.
Also check for common “nasties” that can provoke reactions such as:
In makeup and nail varnish, always check products are “nickel controlled” as this is another sensitising agent, yet is only acknowledged by a few brands. To find out more about the best makeup for sensitive skin.
Sensitive skincare rule 2. Packaging matters!
Even the purest of formulas risks triggering skin’s sensitivity if it’s not protected. The reason why? A phenomenon called retro-contamination, where particles in the air – potential irritants or allergens – enter the pack after it has been opened. These microscopic irritants and allergens have the potential to contaminate your carefully chosen daily face care products. So if you have sensitive skin, opt for tubes rather than jars to avoiding contaminating the formula with your hands or airborne particles every time you grab some formula.
Ideally, packaging compatible with sensitive skin should be hermetic, in other words airtight, with protective valves to avoid contamination or oxidation. Plus, there should be no contact between the product and any metal components, since metal ions can sensitise skin. A shining example is TOLERIANE Ultra, whose minimalist yet soothing formula is protected in an airtight pump dispenser.
Sensitive skincare rule 2. Packaging matters!
The only way to be 100% sure of your tolerance to a product is to test it out. Apply a small amount to your forearm and cover with a waterproof band-aid. Check for a reaction after 48 hours – if the area is free of redness, you can use the product on your face with confidence.
Now you know the principles behind choosing face care products for sensitive skin, keep scrolling to start putting together your routine.
THE BEST DAILY SKINCARE
ROUTINE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
Your 7 step guide to keeping sensitive skin in its comfort zone
Step 1: Gentle everyday cleansing
When cleansing sensitive skin, your buzzword is gentle. In order to respect its natural balance, use a pH-neutral makeup remover specially formulated to cleanse sensitive skin. Your top sensitive skin cleansing allies are gentle micellar waters which remove every trace of dirt and pollution from the skin without the need for it to rub or rinse with hard water, or cleansers specifically formulated for the most sensitive skin such as TOLERIANE Dermo-Cleanser.
Step 2: Follow up with soothing thermal spring water
If there’s one miracle in a bottle for sensitive skin, it’s La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water. Naturally soothing, calming and anti-oxidant thanks to its unique mineral content rich in selenium, it will instantly defuse any pulling, burning or stinging sensations.
Step 3: Choose a sensitive skincare product that answers all your skin's needs
Make sure you choose hydrating products targeted to deal with any issues your skin may have and that are also specifically formulated for sensitive skin.
- Top of the list for sensitive skin prone to tightness, tingling, dryness, discomfort and occasional redness is TOLERIANE Sensitive. It not only repairs skin’s surface protective barrier: It also rebalances its invisible living barrier made up of friendly bacteria thanks to its prebiotic active ingredients. Its double barrier restored, skin is intensely soothed, its sensitivity reduced day after day.
- Allergy-prone skin will thank TOLERIANE Ultra for its soothing and protective effects. Formulated for the most sensitive or even allergic complexions, it reinforces the skin-barrier. With TOLERIANE Ultra, allergy-prone skin can take on the world!
- To soothe and cool sensitive skin that’s prone to redness, try ROSALIAC moisturisers by La Roche-Posay.
- For oily and blemish-prone sensitive skin, La Roche-Posay's EFFACLAR range is formulated to retain moisture whilst targeting breakouts and reducing the appearance of enlarged pores and shiny, oily skin.
- For dry, sensitive skin La Roche-Posay's NUTRITIC range provides intense moisturising and comfort.
- For anti-ageing solutions that are adapted to sensitive skin, look no further than the REDERMIC and HYALU B5 moisturisers which provide lasting hydration whilst simultaneously combating wrinkles and other visible signs of ageing.
Step 4: Defend fragile skin against external stress
Applied in the morning, the right sensitive skincare products will help protect your skin against daily stresses such as pollution and UV. The ANTHELIOS range offers super strong UVA-UVB protection suitable for even the most sensitive complexions. Beyond UV protection, ANTHELIOS formulas integrate anti-oxidants to protect sensitive skin against free radicles generated by pollution and UV. ANTHELIOS Ultra has such a soothing, minimalist formulation it’s even safe on the sensitive eye area… Keep scrolling for more sensitive eye-friendly solutions.
Step 5: Pay attention to extra fragile areas such as the eyes and lips
There’s sensitive… and then there’s super-sensitive! Some parts of your face, such as the lips and around the eyes, have particularly fine, fragile skin. Did you know? The eye contour skin is ten times thinner than the skin on the rest of the face! So be sure to choose products formulated specifically for this area.
- To cleanse sensitive eyes, use a specific eye makeup remover or a cotton pad for each eye soaked in micellar water that will melt off eye makeup without rubbing. For super sensitive eyes, consider cleansers that come in sterile monodoses such as TOLERIANE Ultra Demaquillant.
- Follow up with a gentle and well-tolerated cream such as TOLERIANE Ultra Eye Contour, which delivers instant and lasting relief sensations for sensitive eyes.
- For a dermatologist-developed anti-wrinkle solution for sensitive eyes, consider HYALU B5 Eyes so that even the most sensitive eyes can benefit from the super-sponge molecule hyaluronic acid!
Step 6: Take care of your flaking lips
Lips are integral to our communication and expression, but they’re also prone to troublesome dryness and chapping. This area of skin can become sensitive to certain ingredients such as preservatives and balsam of Peru (a top allergen found in many toiletries). Plus, when lips are dry, it’s all too tempting to pick at flaking skin on or around the lips, which in turn increases irritation and inflammation. So resist the urge and kick-start a virtuous cycle towards smooth, healthy lips!
- Try NUTRITIC LIPS in stick form for easy application and instant relief, as well as long-term smoothing benefits.
- The sun’s rays can also aggravate sensitive lips, so in the summer sun or in the mountains be sure to protect fragile lip skin with an SPF.
Learn more about chapped lips HERE. [ART-H011]
Step 7: Which makeup for sensitive skin?
Now your skin’s all set, are you looking for makeup suitable for sensitive skin and eyes? Be sure you minimise the risk of allergies and choose hypoallergenic makeup.
With the dermatologist partner La Roche-Posay’s TOLERIANE Teint range of foundations and concealers, plus the TOLERIANE eye makeup line, your sensitive skin and eyes are in the safest possible hands. Every product is tested on sensitive to allergic skin and eyes, so you can enhance the beauty of your sensitive skin and eyes in absolute confidence. To find out more about the best makeup for sensitive skin .
To learn more about the causes of sensitive skin, click HERE.