Skin allergy treatment:
FROM PHARMACY FAVOURITES TO SMART SKINCARE CHOICES
Skin is the #1 site of allergy manifestations and skin allergy comes in many different forms ranging from hives to milder reactions such as redness, burning, and itching. To provide relief for allergy-prone skin:
• Check the ingredients list to make sure your products are free from potential nasties like fragrance and alcohol
• Cleanse with a high-tolerance non-rinse cleanser to remove allergens and irritants from skin’s surface
• Soothe skin reactions with a thermal water spray with natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
• Follow-up with an ultra-soothing barrier cream formulated for allergic skin types and packaged in an airtight pump dispenser
SKIN IS THE #1 SITE OF ALLERGY MANIFESTATION
What is the treatment for skin allergy?
There are 3 main types of allergic skin rash:
1) Allergic urticaria or “hives”: A super-common allergic skin rash that occurs instantly in response to substances that touch our skin, as well as the foods we eat or medications we take. It is a widespread, raised, red, and incredibly itchy rash.
The treatment for this form of skin allergy is based on oral anti-histamines, but a soothing and thermal spring water spray can work wonders too.
2) Allergic contact dermatitis: A scaling, itching, burning rash, sometimes with small blisters and oozing, that occurs after skin comes into prolonged contact with something it’s allergic to. This red allergic skin rash can take weeks to fade. It crops up around 48 hours after exposure. The commonest causes include nickel, harsh disinfectants and household cleaning products. Many cases are also due to additives, irritants, and even nickel in cosmetics.
The treatment for this type of allergic skin rash involves:
- Avoidance of the trigger (e.g. eliminating allergen-loaded cosmetics from your routine, not wearing nickel jewellery, etc.)
- Steroid creams like hydrocortisone (for short-term use only)
- Barrier creams formulated specifically for allergy-prone skin with a minimum of “nasties” (think lanolin, colorants, fragrance, alcohol…)
3) Atopic dermatitis (eczema): In eczema, the skin's protective layer of oil and water (the “cutaneous barrier”) is defective, so allergens and irritants can break through the barrier, reach the deeper skin layers, and cause inflammation (redness, itching, dryness, and blisters). This sets up an itch-scratch cycle that can interfere with sleep and quality of life, especially for children.
The treatment for this type of skin allergy is two-fold: Steroid creams for flare-ups, followed up by rich emollient creams created specifically for atopic skin for maintenance. To find out everything you need to know about atopic dermatitis, click HERE.
How should I care for my allergy-prone skin?
Increasing numbers of women complain of symptoms of skin allergy in response to unsuitable cosmetics. These reactions may not be as dramatic as hives, contact dermatitis, or eczema, but they are no less annoying.
Allergy-prone skin itches, burns, and generally feels irritated after using the wrong products, or in response to environmental factors like pollution, pollen or washing powder. Many women even decide to clear their bathroom shelves and ban cosmetics altogether! But the truth is that allergy-prone skin needs specific care products to relieve allergy symptoms.
A SKINCARE ROUTINE
FOR ALLERGIC PRONE SKIN
Cleansing allergy-prone skin
Cleansing removes allergens from skin’s surface, so it is an essential step in caring for skin prone to allergic reactions. Your best options are non-rinse formulas that effectively remove all dirt, allergens, and irritants from skin’s surface without stripping its protective surface film (which will only make allergic skin rashes worse).
TOLERIANE Ultra Eyes and Face Make-up Remover has been tested on ultra-sensitive and allergy-prone skin, as well as on sensitive eyes (it's ideal for contact lens wearers). The product comes in sterile single-dose packaging and is free of irritants. It allows you to cleanse skin of impurities and make-up with no need to rub (which can leave you looking red-faced if you’re allergy-prone).
Round off cleansing with a thermal water spray
When treating skin prone to allergic rashes your miracle in a bottle is none other than La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water. An incredibly fine, cooling mist, its natural anti-oxidant properties instantly soothe allergic skin reactions. This is an allergic skin rash treatment to keep close to hand at all times! Leave on to do its thing for a few minutes, then gently pat dry.
Follow up with an ultra-soothing moisturiser suited to your skin type
If your skin is ultra-sensitive or prone to allergic skin reactions, your hero treatment product is TOLERIANE Ultra. It is formulated with the absolute minimum of ingredients, and none of the nasties you need to watch out for. It instantly soothes the itching and burning sensations of allergic prone skin and forms a safety barrier to stop further irritants from penetrating. If your skin tends towards dryness, go for TOLERIANE Ultra. If you have oily or combination skin, your perfect pair is TOLERIANE Ultra Fluid. Many women find the original texture suits their skin in winter, whereas the fluid texture is better suited to the spring/summer season.
Safety even around the sensitive eye area
TOLERIANE care products are suitable for application around the eyes, thus bringing intense soothing to the entire face and the allergy-prone eye area. Tested on skin types that react to at least two allergens, the formulas got the thumbs up from 99% of women. Their texture spreads easily and penetrates rapidly into the skin, without needing to be rubbed in, which can potentially exacerbate allergic skin reactions.
THE IMPORTANCE OF PACKAGING
WHEN TREATING SKIN ALLERGY
Many allergens get into products after you open the pack
If you are looking to treat allergy-prone skin, packaging can be as important as the product itself. If your product comes in a jar or screw-top bottle, it is wide open to contamination from allergens such as pollen or other irritants. Instead, opt for pump dispensers that keep the product sealed in an airtight environment.
TOLERIANE Ultra care products come in high-tech, ultra-airtight packaging. The sealed cap contains a one-way valve, so the product can never be sucked back in. This guarantees your product's purity during use by ensuring that it stays free from contamination by bacteria, irritants, or allergens.